Thursday, June 26, 2008

Arrival

So much has happened in the last 5 days that I don't really know where to begin. I was hoping to get online a few days ago but as I've quickly figured out, nothing here happens in a timely manner.

I guess I'll just start from the begining. Last Thursday all of the Crossroad participants met up on Long Island for an orientation before heading our seperate directions. The orientation was surprisingly laid back and more of an opportunity to get to know our groups before we got on the plane. Since it's the 50th year of Crossroads we finished orientation with a dinner at the top of the UN building in the Deligates Dining Room. None of us packed formal clothing so we all looked ridiculous but it was still pretty solid. Sunday we finally left the US and flew to Casablanca. I was initially dreading our 12 hour layover in Casablanca but it turned out to be a gift. Air Moroc paid for each of us to get a hotel room for the entire layover. We dropped all of our bags off at the hotel and took a taxi into the city. I think I pissed myself atleast 3 times in during the ride, but we made it out alive. Trafic rules and lane lines are more of a suggestion than a standard. Either way we were able to go to the market there, see one of their famous mosques, and go swimming.

I have run out of computer time so the rest of the trip to date will have to wait. I guess I'll learn time management eventually.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Glad to know you've arrived and look forward to hearing your impressions of the village and your work there.